Last week was a warm up, and tomorrow is going full throttle, school 7 days a week on the west side of LA. An hour and half drive one way but it’s going to be so worth it by the last week of April. I haven’t felt this happy and blessed in ages. I get to work on coding 5 days a week, and art 2 days a week. I’m also finally getting to see some of the referral doctors, I been trying to see for the past year. Finally, can start figuring out and tracing where my health issues are coming from to better address them.
Learning to love yourself to just give up all exception for the day when things are going right, and just take a mental day off. I spend most of the day stressing of all the things I should be doing but physically couldn’t due to my asthma issue. I gave up towards the end of the day and just wonder mindless between reading a book which I stop half way through because it turn into the conflicts of being a single working mom empowerment book, cleaning within arms reach, and writing till now. I’m going to be and hopefully get some sleep tonight.
Loving myself to be kind to myself. My coding skills is not where it once was. I took a few months off and I need to get back into the game. Need to stop talking down to myself but I hate that I’ve slipped. Each time I go to Dev Meetups and hang out with people who are doing Dev work, I really enjoy learning and see what they are doing. It inspires to me to do more. I think I need to figure out how to be in that environment more.
Working on hand lettering for the past 3 months. Looking over my practice lettering work that I’ve been doing for almost 3 months now. It’s just me doodling but I’ve done it for 3 months now. Pretty proud that I kept up with it. Haven’t share it publicly but I will when it feels right.
If you don’t know the difference between Typography vs Lettering Here is a great article.
“As soon as you start to pursue a dream, your life wakes up and everything has meaning.” — Barbara Sher
Take 3 months off of taking new web clients, and build a mock side from underscores to add to my portfolio.
Start Date: Oct 1, 2015
End Date: Dec 31, 2015
Plan of Action:
To better my Front End Development Skills, I am spending the next 3 months making and breaking a WordPress Mock Site using underscores.
Muse for the Site
Questionnaire: Screening, Intake, Follow up
Meeting my time Frame.
2 weeks on the first two phases max, and two months on the latter.
- My extend WordPress family and friends. I am eternality grateful for them, and grace of the WordPress community.
- Being coming a Developer. My hugest fear happen on using that title happen today, I was told not to used the word Developer in my title today by somebody who I just meet and knew nothing about me. It took a lot of convincing by people I knew, and respected as developers that have seen my code and work, to convince me to start using that title about a year ago. I understand and respect that person’s POV of what a Developer is and why, because that was my stander for a long time till people talk to me about it.
I know it’s a very controversial topic on what titles are but I also realize that I need stop fearing the reactions of voicing my opinions. For me at this point of my life, if you do anything that is constantly consider Development, you are a Developer. It doesn’t mean that you are great at it, but everybody has to start somewhere. I don’t charge as a Developer or a Designer but when I get to the level that I feel I can start charging for it, I will. Now to getting back on track on leveling up.
- Taking the next 3 months to build a mock site of things I want to learn. I’m not taking on any more new website clients for the rest of the year and just build a mock site to up my level. The talk I had with that person today made me realize that I’m only taking on paid clients is because that’s what I think should doing. I’ve been building the same configuration sites for over 1.5 years now because that’s all they can afford. I’ve been very very bored and not using the skills I’ve learned, but I do want to help people get started with their own site. This is a side job for me, it’s not my main income yet. I can afford to take the next 3 months off, and just make a mock site of things I want to learn to make.
- For the people I met at WCLAX. I wasn’t really planing on staying very long at WCLAX but after meeting some wonderful people, I did. Had wonderful talks with people. The last person’s conversation when very deep and it help me realize how to approach some blocks I’ve been stuck on for a while.
- Being able to get 4am breakfast burrito from a taco stand. I miss having this when I lived in Hawaii for 7 years.
Hard to believe it’s been almost been over 1.5 years since I had to take care of my family obligations. Need to shift out of survivor’s mode. It’s not over but within the next month, the worse of it should be over. I know it’s going to be a small challege to get out of survivor’s mode, and back into my own skin.
I am so grateful that to my friends, my chosen family, my blood family, and the random people who have supported me along the way. Really don’t know how I made it without completely breaking down but I’m so greatful for people I never expected to step up and be there for me. I’m greatful for my dance, and WordPress communities for being there.
A few of my friends have mention that I cralwed into my shell/cave about 2 years ago around the time I starting getting sick again and reinjured my ankle. I realize that I gotten really serious, tucked away my humor and personalty while put on a safer verson of myself. One of my major strugles is not being able to be as active as I was before my ankle sugery. It had an effect on my self esteem. I’ve always been indepent and the one taking care of other people. Had to learn to ask people for help because I can not phyically do things and still learning to let it go with the flow.
Would love to meet a guy that can make me laugh and put a smile on my face when I see him. Have mini adventures with me exploring for road trips, urban landmarks, explore nature with me, and take a day trip with me. Will be game once in a blue moon, when I want to grab a donut, on the way to the ocean or desert at 1am to stare at the stars. I’m a huge foodie, so somebody who is open to trying new places and foods to eat, and put up with my photographing my food. Be dorky enough with me to go on picnics in random places, comikaze, art walk/event, swing/salsa dancing, live shows, go watch movies/shows in the park, etc.
“Life is a journey and it’s about growing and changing and coming to terms with who and what you are and loving who and what you are.” –Kelly McGillis
1) My first real vacation in 4-5 years. I got to see the spots that I’ve wanted to see in Florida, parts of Peru, and spent a few days in my friend’s house in New Orleans. Had unexpected challenges on my vacation, as I learned to make the best of it while having to take care of unexpected work and other issues. I worked on learning to be present in the moment.
2) Making it to WCOC driving from LAX to OC. It was nice to see everybody again, even thought I was simi out of it. Love seen how much my friends have grown over the past two years with their speaking skills and how much they have grown. Got some motivation on working on polishing my art/craft/code. Need to think about how I would like to brand myself as I am working on trying to find my niche.
3) Jury duty. It took a lot out of me because I was very fatigued, missing a filling, and I was going to night classes twice a week via metro. However it’s a reminder that I am blessed that I live in the US and this is a small price to pay. Made the best of it while I was there as I was working on learning to be present as much as I can.
4) Everything above from my vacation, to WCOC, and jury duty, all remind me how lucky I am to be able to switch careers at this point of my life. I can’t go start pushing into go into it full time just yet, till I am able to close out from my father’s estate and finish with my current project, which looks like it will be this fall or winter at the latest. Need to be kinder to myself, as I am spread too thin right now and I’m still looking for my niche in the Web/WordPress world as I’m building my coding skills slower then I would like.
5) Will be moving into my new place in 2-3 months. Even thought I’ve been living out of boxes for 7 months, I know at least where I’m going to be living in for the next few years, and I can just focus on working on just build up my web career into a full time career.
I found my bucket list I put up back in 2012 to be completed by 2017. I think by the end of the this year, I only would have the home office, South America, and maybe a new(used) car check off with two more years to go on the rest. This was the order I used with the same photos. I should update this or write a new one. A lot has changed since 2012.
Have my own home office (check) 2014
Debt Free- Working on this one: Student loans paid off 2014
New Car (or used new car) – Working on
South America – Pending Summer 2015
Meet my mate – Think that requires trying meeting somebody non platonically. Whatever happen to arranged marriages? 😛
Get engaged — See note above
Get married – See above
Maybe pop out a kid – Only way this is happening is that if I have a hubby that willing to take care of the kid because I’m not sure I can handle it. I can barely take care of myself.